Chalte Chalte

While Walking

Today is Sunday, September 26, 2010. Today, my little brother is 14 years old. He is the object of affection of many young girls and the friend of only a lucky few. But I have the deepest of pleasure of being his one and only sibling. I only vaguely remember when he was born. I doubt I was extremely aware of the fact that I was soon to have a playmate, because it came as a big of a shock to me when my grandma picked me up after school when I was 6 and drove me to the hospital. I wasn’t so sure about this new person taking a portion of my parent’s attention, but as I got older, it became apparent that this new little being was someone to take an offensive position against. Yes my friends, it was war. He would scream at the top of his lungs, I would tattle. He would poke me repetitively and I would dress him up in a snow white costume and show him to the world. He would stare over my shoulder as I drew, and I would convince him that it was a good idea to dance in front of the window naked. It was a brutal, and yet somehow enjoyable relationship. Though I would have denied it at the time, I began to enjoy the time I spent with my brother, after school, on Sunday afternoons, and otherwise. Luckily for me, instead of resenting me for all the terrible things I’d done to him when he was young, he treated me with nothing but kindness. Even when I dressed up as Snow White for homecoming, which should have surfaced repressed and painful memories, he told me I looked beautiful. Over the years he has become one of my life supports. A best friend. Someone I want to share the most memorable parts of my life with.

So here’s to you brother for being a great person, a wonderful brother, and most importantly my best friend (not counting the years I hated you)

I love you and have a great birthday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About this blog